The NSS has been introduced in this College since 1972 to promote national consciousness and to in-calculate a sense of social responsibility, discipline and dignity of labour among the students.
- The specific objectives of NSS are
- To arouse the students social consciousness and provide opportunities. To work with and among the people
- To engage in non-violent and constructive social activities
- To enhance the knowledge of self and the community through a confrontation with reality.
- To put scholarship to practical use in mitigating at least some of the social problems and
- To gain skills in the exercise of democratic leadership.
There are four NSS units in the college including one Girls unit and each unit consists of fifty students volunteers for a period of at least two years. Each volunteer has to choose one of the following groups.
ocial Service and village development
Adult literary Drive
Village survey and Campus project.
There will be one special camp for all the above groups. Attendance in week-end camps and annual camps (75% attendance minimum) is obligatory. Certificates are issued to deserving volunteers.
SPECIAL CAMPING PROGRAMME:
- Special camping programmes are organized by the NSS preferably during long and short vacations in the rural community or adopted villages near the college or slums assigned to the college.
- The camp provides opportunity to the students to work with and among the people in order to fulfill their felt needs through co-operative effort.
- It helps the student youth to react in a live situation in a society and develop a positive attitude to make contributions for the betterment of fellow human beings.
- The interactions between the College and the adopted village, the society and the University increase the social conscience and the social responsibility of the student volunteers and fill them with a sense of participation in national development.
PROJECT TO BE UNDERTAKEN BY OUR COLLEGE:
- Construction of homes for homeless in slum area
- Planning for better environment and economic development
- Plantation and preservation of trees in college campus and adopted villages
- Planning for child and child education in slum areas and adopted villages.
- Planning for health related programmes like eye operation camps, blood donation camps and First Aid in slum areas and adopted villages.
- Campaign against social evils and superstitions.
- Legal aid to poor and when necessary.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR NSS VOLUNTEERS
- A volunteer should work under the guidance of Programme Officer and Group Leader
- He/she must abide by all the rules and discipline.
- He/she must respect the other man’s point of view and make his/her self worthy of the confidence of the community where he is working.
- His/her dress, diet and disposition should be as simple as possible during his work as volunteer.
- It is a part of his/her duty to promote the NSS objective, practice an example in order to inspire trust and co-ordination of the local people.
- For solution of a problem he should use non-violent and peaceful means.