As a wing of the Indian Youth Red Cross Society,( Odisha State Branch) the Youth Red Cross started in the college in 1993.
The YRC aims to train Zealous Youths in the fundamental principles of the Red Cross, so that, they may remain unperturbed, unwavering, unfaltering and develop in themselves elements of quietude and sacrifice when disasters strike humanity. The YRC Endeavour’s to
- Promote the spirit of sacrifice and service among the youth.
- Promote health, hygienic and sanitary conditions.
- Motivate youths to foster friendship and fraternity.
- Promote leadership qualities.
- To inculcate the spirits of, self reliance and the dignity of labour among youths.
- The YRC seeks to propagate the fundamental principles of :
- Voluntary service
- Sensitization of population control
- Organisation of camps on blood grouping and blood donation
Students of the college, irrespective of their classes are eligible for membership in the Youth Red Cross provided, they volunteer themselves for participation in the philanthropic services of the Red Cross Society.
PROGRAMMES UNDERTAKEN BY THE YRC :
- Impart Training in first Aid
- Arrange lectures on Health Awareness and Education
- Organize Health Awareness Camps on
- Eye ailments
- Mass Immunization
- Prevention Drives on AIDS
- Anti-epidemic measures
- Birth Control and Population Control measures
- Blood donation/ Blood Sampling Camps
- Demonstrations on fire fighting skills
- Organize Disaster Service Camps during the time of natural or man-made disasters
- Welfare measures for aged, old sick and injured
- Programmes in plantation and offer station
- Promote pen-friends
- Faster sense of National Integration
- Organize Cultural Programmes in the College
The YRC renders support services in the Welfare measures taken up by the district administration. The YRC unit of the college is headed by prof. S.B. Patnaik, Reader-in-History.